Sunday, June 29, 2008

By Our Love

click for the inspiration for this post. Also see a few of the posts from here, and some other relevant ideas from my Mission posts. I offer these so you have a frame of reference if you haven't been following the string of discussion as it was posted.

Sometimes I like to jot down an idea when it pops in my head and save it for later. Reading the post linked above, jogged my memory about a idea for a post that was in response to some of the "blogversation" (new word, go with it?) with Bear Much Fruit....

"What about a Christian organization that does social work and has gatherings? Just don't call it a church. Combatting cynicism with true Christian life lived out."

I feel like this is a pretty radical thought and I am even a little scared by it. There's a fine line between doing God's work and doing it completely without mentioning Him. I especially hate the political correctness that is sometimes needed to execute such a dance. You might even call it the "spiritual lambada". You put your faith in action. It's clear that you are doing good things for other people and sacrificing your own desires. But you never announce that God is the reason for your work.

I think that's where I lose it. My faith might be big enough to do works and love the unlovely, but it's not big enough to let God take it from there. I want the result and the reward of knowing that the work was worth the effort. I forget that my part is over and done with. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that these things might stem from my issues with trusting other people (a post for another day). But God's not "other people". Ugh, I am so hardheaded sometimes. Anybody else got understanding God figured out yet?

Anyway, I'd like your thoughts on this issue of showing Christian love, with no strings attached and no expectations, only that you have done your part in someone's journey. Also comment if you have thoughts about my post idea that's italicized up at the beginning of the post. It might be fun to do some "shock and awe" caliber of loving.

Choose Wisely

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I want the result and the reward of knowing that the work was worth the effort..."

This sentiment is the only one I am going to speak to in this reply. I'm not going to toucuh gatherings that are supposed to be church without mentioning God. That's kind of messed up in my head...but unadulterated random acts of Christ inspired kindness...being a living testimony... preaching the gosepl and every so often using words when absolutely necessary...damn skippy...I'm all about that. And if people ask you about why you do and are, and act how you do, be honest. Avoid preaching, but be honest.

So, back to that quote of yours...

Matthew 6 speaks strongly to this sentiment. I urge you to read it (or re-read it as the case might be. And actually I suggest an in depth review of the entire Sermon on the Mount. Jesus puts out a lot of good stuff there.)

Remember you are working in this earth for eternal dividends--for both yourself and for others. Any reward you recive here is temporary, fleeting and dim in comparison to the treasures God stores up for us in heaven.

Trust in God's promises. I know how hard that can be, believe me! But, He won't let you down.

But I feel that Love in Action is different than this:

"What about a Christian organization that does social work and has gatherings? Just don't call it a church. Combatting cynicism with true Christian life lived out."

That sounds more about subverting authority and ultimately being forced to comprimise your message more than actual "love in action." I feel tt would eventually become nothing more than a gathering of people who are doing good for the sake of good, not God. Which takes faith completely out of the equation and well, there goes our justification...

Love in Action and pseudo religious church services utilizing publicly funded orginizations are two entirely different things. In my mind.

I've always thought of love in action as, like I've said, having a living testimony. Just living the life of a Christian. Being ambassadors, and living as if we truly are set apart. You go to a different country and the people are different from you. Our difference from those without Christ should be just as plain in our life styles as a british accent in downtown Boston. Don't show it off, but just BE CHRIST as much as you can...

Now I'm starting to go off on a tangent, but I hope that all at least made some sense.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

P.S. And in all of that...pray that God will use you, and pray that you will be open when he nudges you. That sort of thing. :) Really done this time.