Friday, August 8, 2008

Acting! (picture Jon Lovitz on SNL for effect)

Just watched Reign Over Me last night. Really good movie. It got me thinking about some of the best acting performances I've seen lately so I decided to share my top 3 actors for the past 10 years or so.

#3 Matt Damon-it all started with Good Will Hunting which continues to be one of my all-time favorites. He's Jason Bourne for goodness sake. He loses points for the Good Shepherd, although I think that had more to do with De Niro's directing. But of course, he's one of Danny Ocean's boys.

#2 Don Cheadle-Watching Reign Over Me reminded me how good he is. He's very comfortable and believable in many roles. Hotel Rwanda being his best work and Crash is up there too. The Family Man is fun too. Also, one of Danny Ocean's boys. Bonus points for playing Ice Trey during the first season of the Fresh Prince!

#1 Ed Norton-Just my opinion but I think he wins this short list. He had a nice streak going with Rounders, American History X, and Fight Club. Then he was solid in The Score and The Italian Job. I haven't seen a lot of his recent movies so I can't judge his Hulk. He's in The Kingdom of Heaven too, but I haven't seen it a second time and I can't remember his part in that. Either way, he edges out Cheadle by a hair at this point in time. We'll see where these guys go from here.

What's your top 3?

Choose Wisely

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hmmm, choose wisely...
Well I can't not choose Nicholas Cage, even though lately he's been getting more hair and younger co-stars but I'll just say that's not his fault.
As for the other two, I can't think of all time favorites so I'll pick role-specific favorites. I love Jim Cavezel as The Count of Monte Cristo, and Christian Bale as Batman. Honorable mention to Heath Ledger's Joker and Matt Damon in the Bournes.
I know there are a million more that I've forgotten, so I've got to just stop myself there.

Rebecca said...

LOVE "Reign Over Me"...what a surprisingly good and rather fascinating movie. Glad you enjoyed it!